ARTASTICS - THREADS


Life's Journey is a mural of Threads.

The threads of my mural are influenced by my spiritual practices, personal values, the love of friends, and special people that have been my guides. They are strengthened by my husband's love and support. The colors are brilliant with the influence of my enthusiasm for continued exploration for meaning and truth.

My threads will continue to weave their unique patterns as I explore life's roads, paths, alleys, and avenues. My beliefs will provide many hues as I continue search for a personal meaning of my existence. Artistic challenges and accomplishments will add the sparkle!

The colors radiate the pulse of my life. There is a rhythm to the design. I have danced, whirled and twirled, even stumbled, but, I do have style!

I am excited about sharing the developing design with you through this Blog.



Friday, June 10, 2011

Natural Disasters!

I am so honored to join many artists that have shared their talent and art expressions with the many people throughout the world that have been touched by this past year's natural disasters. 

Birmingham, Alabama was touched by a tornado in late April.  I have two long-time friends that live close to this city.  Fortunately, they were not injured by this horrendous storm.

Last week a tornado touched down in Springfield, Massachusetts.  My Niece lives on a street that was destroyed.  Fortunately, Her family survived without physical injuries. Their home received some destruction, but they are doing fine. 

Early Spring, earthquakes brought devastation to two other areas of the world.

Early morning of February 22  in New Zealand an earthquake struck an area known as Christchurch. The earthquake caused widespread damage across Christchurch, especially in the central city and eastern suburbs, with damage exacerbated by buildings and infrastructure already being weakened by the 4 September earthquake and its aftershocks.

The evening of March 11, my husband and I watched with much anguish as the tsunami devastated the coast of Japan.  How horrifying to watch in real time the destruction of peoples' lives.The earthquake and tsunami have caused extensive and severe damage in Northeastern Japan, leaving thousands of people confirmed dead, injured or missing, and millions more affected by lack of electricity, water and transportation.  

As an artist, I realized there was something more personal I could do.  Artists'  groups began forming caring circles.  The quality and quantity of the art projects that developed has been so impressive. Sophisticated projects included beautifully constructed quilts.  I discovered hundreds of  hand-made quilts created and shipped to those that had lost everything.  Other projects included comfort dolls, prayer pillows, angel projects, and other  art forms for sharing. Large packages of art items have been shipped to many.

I am so impressed by the work of so many.  I contribute handmade cards, angels, hearts, and I-Love-You magnets.  What a great feeling to imagine a small art expression held tenderly in the hand of a stranger in New Zealand, Japan, Birmingham, or in Springfield...isn't that what art is all about....





         

1 comment:

  1. Jan, what lovely gifts you have made for others going through their traumas.

    ReplyDelete