ARTASTICS - THREADS


Life's Journey is a mural of Threads.

The threads of my mural are influenced by my spiritual practices, personal values, the love of friends, and special people that have been my guides. They are strengthened by my husband's love and support. The colors are brilliant with the influence of my enthusiasm for continued exploration for meaning and truth.

My threads will continue to weave their unique patterns as I explore life's roads, paths, alleys, and avenues. My beliefs will provide many hues as I continue search for a personal meaning of my existence. Artistic challenges and accomplishments will add the sparkle!

The colors radiate the pulse of my life. There is a rhythm to the design. I have danced, whirled and twirled, even stumbled, but, I do have style!

I am excited about sharing the developing design with you through this Blog.



Saturday, August 15, 2009

Yongosona Wuuti - The Storyteller


Now that I have established my breathing and dried my tears, I want to share with you the extraordinary Blume Doll Barbara M., special Yahoo Group Art4Mail, created. I am so honored to receive this caringly made and researched doll. Her name is Yongosona Wuuti. In Hopi language this means Tortoise/Turtle Woman! Barbara conducted extensive research in naming her. "In the Hopi Culture, the women were responsible for all things domestic. They were nomadic and followed the quest to futile soils. They carried their belongings (houses) with them much like a tortoise, hence her name."

The first Stoyteller was made by a contemporary Pueblo woman in New Mexico, honoring her grandfather who was a storyteller. Storytellers dolls are always depicted with open mouths because they would sing their history. They would also keep their eyes closed. Turtle Woman is a real treasure.

What Barbara did not know is my Niece is a Navajo Indian from the Alamo Reservation, Alamo, New Mexico. Her daughter won the Miss Teen Alamo Navajo 2006-2007 title.

Art4Mail conducted this Ethnic Doll Trade. It is so special that Turtle Woman came to me and our family.

2 comments:

  1. I am thrilled to have been able to share this doll with you! She is very special and couldn't have gone to a finer lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so moved by this doll and her history and this swap. Jan, I cannot think of a better home for this blessed storyteller :)

    ReplyDelete